I’ve learned a lot of things over the past few years. Not all of them good. But I feel like I’ve woken up now, and I’ve been asleep for so very long. So I’m writing this list of guidelines by which to live life. Because it’s good for my soul.
- Do nice things for no reason.
- They say time changes things, but that’s not true. Doing things changes things. Not doing things leaves things exactly as they were.
- Your beliefs don’t make you a better person. Your behaviour does.
- Anyone or anything which causes you misery has no place as a part of your life.
- You can do whatever you put your mind to.
- Don’t waste time waiting. You need to make your own future, and that future is yours and yours alone to choose.
- Stars can burn for trillions of years. But even the stars do not last forever.
- Never allow yourself to be damaged by someone else’s opinions and beliefs.
- There is always a choice, and it is always yours to make.
- Life is a series of rooms, and who we get stuck in those rooms with adds up to what our lives are.
- Don’t let your happiness depend on things which you might lose.
- In the end, it’s your life. Live it.
- There is no no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save you from yourself.
- If you don’t try, you’ll never succeed. If you don’t fail, you’ll never learn. If you don’t succeed, become better.
- Be careful not to fool yourself. And remember that you’re the easiest person to fool.
- The hottest, brightest stars are the fastest to burn out. Longevity requires temperance.
- Find your paths before they become too overgrown. If they become too overgrown, invest in a machete.
- Time which you enjoy wasting is never wasted time. (Corollary: If you’re not enjoying something, it’s obviously a waste of your time, and time is too precious to waste.)
- There is no shame in cutting your losses. Better to move on and keep your head above water than to let things drag you down.
- The most difficult thing in the universe to know is yourself.
- Always speak that which you truly mean, but never let someone else’s words come from your mouth.
- Don’t be afraid to take pride in who you are and what you do. But always stop short of arrogance.
- Some rules can be bent. Others can be broken. But only once you truly know what those rules are.
- It’s ok to look back. You won’t turn into a pillar of salt or anything. Just don’t allow yourself to dwell on anything.
- You are the product of three and a half billion years of evolution. Act like it.
- “Perfect” is an abstract concept. Unattainable and irrelevant. True perfection lies in appreciating imperfections.
- Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.
Needless to say, this list is subject to additions and revisions. This page is not public, so I’d ask you not to share it. If you’re reading this, it’s by invitation only.
And remember, it’s more fun being chaotic neutral. They’re more guidelines than actual rules.