“A Glorious Dawn”

This has been stuck in my head all day long. How strange! It’s on my current ipod playlist. I even feel compelled to pick up my ukulele and learn how to play a cover of it — which is rare occurence for something that came from the depths of YouTube.

In other words, this is probably the best tribute I’ve ever seen to the greatest astrochemist of all time. The world needs more people like you, Carl.

A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the Milky Way

This entry was posted in Imported from Livejournal and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to “A Glorious Dawn”

1. mutantgene says:

I’d also like to add I was very lucky to accidentally stumble across Carl Sagan’s books at the library within the first year I started educating myself. I was less educated than the general public, the intended audience for his books, and yet I walked away inspired and motivated to learn more.

2. mutantgene says:

It is no surprise to me that Carl Sagan’s words would make a beautiful song. Listening to him speak in his Cosmos series was already like listening to poetry.
    Thank you for sharing this.

o_O

Carl was certainly one of the best teachers of science ever. The ability to make things interesting and appealing, without skimping on the factual content, is a skill which a lot more people could do with learning. I aspire to someday be half the communicator he was!
    And yes. Can’t help but bring a smile to the face… :)

5. underwr1tten says:

“The sky calls to us…”
    YES. I love Carl. Just recently got a friend of mine watching Cosmos and reading Sagan’s books, and he’s always been just a science fanboy, talking about the mystical aspects of cosmology without learning anything about the research. It’s great to be able to talk to him about science because of dear old Carl! I watch Cosmos whenever I have a bad day–he’s just so good at cheering me up :D

As do I, my friend.
    And thanks. Added you back.

7. cosmorama says:

Oh, I love this. I miss him.
    I added you by the way. I like your posts.