Lab Demographics

Well this is atypical. Me being in for 9am? Most people don’t seem to even be here yet. Another reminder that no matter how much we all grumbled about early morning starts as undergrads, the lecturers were doubtless equally disenamoured with the whole affair.

I’m actually here to sort out my lab demonstration training. Due to communication mix ups a couple of weeks back I wasn’t actually able to attend the proper training session last week. But there’s not an awful lot to go over, to be honest. The bulk of it is going to be tomorrow. Tomorrow afternoon is a free block in the lab schedule, which is my chance to run amok and get the hang of all the lovely pieces of equipment like isoteniscopes and cannisters of helium gas. Delicious.

Bizarrely, looking over these first year lab manuals and first year experiments rather brings back some nostalgia of being an undergrad. This should be interesting. Teaching is fun!

This entry was posted in academia, Imported from Livejournal and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Lab Demographics

It has to be said, a big benefit of getting in early is that you do get to leave early too. Personally, I think my ideal time to start a day has always been between 10-11am…

8am? I’m not surprised she hates it. I can’t imagine lecturers or students would do particularly well that early!

Ouch! That’s a slightly painful schedule! It’s certainly convenient to live within walking distance these days, I must say.
    Astronomy labs… I’m sure as long as they’re not constant, they must be more than worth sacrificing a few nights in he pub for! :)

4. nimblenimbus says:

Don’t forget that labcoat.

5. I don’t mind getting in early, but not regularly. I usually range from 8:30-10:30am, with a pretty even distribution between those times.

6. My mom is a lecturer and she has to teach at 8 am sometimes. She hates it!

Ah, the life of a PhD student! Due to working 20 miles outside the city, and the daft train timetables, I used to arrive at 11am and leave at 7/8pm. Except on lab days where I stayed in the city and often ended up working nights (astronomy labs: great fun, but hell on the social life!).
    Our demonstrator training course was useless. We spent half a day in a room of mostly humanities postgrads who were learning how to run group tutorials, so there wasn’t much that was relevant to practical lab demos!
    Megan

Heh… Sadly undergrad labs start at 9am. I don’t really have much choice in the matter. :P

9. nimblenimbus says:

I’m impressed that you actually managed to get in for 9am.
    I was supposed to do that and it didn’t work at all…

Heh… PhD lifestyle! Very true.
    As for arrival times… In my case, the mean isn’t bad, but the mode is a little later than I’d like. Should try and work on that this semester.

11. davidnm says:

Theoretically I should get the 9 AM bus to campus. I hardly ever make it. 10.30 is a more realistic arrival time for me. I’ve heard it called the PhD lifestyle – arrive late, leave late!

It’s a chemistry lab. First year physical chemistry to be precise. Fun with gas viscosities, titrations and spectrometers, amongst other things. Slightly frustrating occasionally, maybe, but the high points are definitely worth it!

13. pax_athena says:

*snickers* Oh, how true!
    So is it a physics or a chemistry (or an astronomy) lab? Teaching is indeed fun, if sometimes slightly frustrating.