Thatched telescope

I’ve heard people say in the past, how certain things in astronomy (like planet hunting) can be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but this is taking that metaphor quite literally. In my random meanderings on the internet I found this scale replica of Jodrell Bank’s Lovell Telescope made from hay bales. And rather impressive it is too!

The creator of this fantastic little sculpture is Park Farm in Cheshire. Makers of the mouthwatering Snugbury’s Ice Cream and accomplished straw sculptors.

Original image from Leslie Platt’s Photostream

This entry was posted in art, Imported from Livejournal and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Thatched telescope

Ha ha yes indeed. Its certainly a step up from the wicker man ;)Sarah

Alas, I know the feeling. I’m stuck in the middle of a city on one of the most light polluted islands in the world! A good clear sky is kind of a rare event for me these days. About the only thing that really makes me wish I had a car…
    They want to shut down Palomar? Seriously? That’s just ridiculous!

Hehehe… I’m not entirely sure — but it totally is! :D

4. I wish their were open fields to stargaze here. I haven’t seen the stars in months from the marine layers of the pacific ocean and all the light pollution from the city. Also, the Indians want to shut down the Palomar Observatory because the astronomers complain about the light pollution from the casinos out in the valley!
    I have to drive far – like to the desert. But the Anza-Borrego Desert in California is part of the Dark Sky Association and it is only a 1.5 hour drive. It was 108 degrees faranheit today though, so I have no idea when I will feel like sitting in an oven just to look @ stars. =/ !!

5. WHY IS THIS SO AWESOME!? :D

Oh, absolutely. Given that sitting around in fields looking at stars is one of my favourite passtimes… Plus, haybales are surprisingly comfortable! :D

Could be an good place to sit and view the universe :-)

Actually, that dish does look kinda comfy…

No kidding! Surprisingly versatile things, haybales…

10. Totally cool! Seeing all that hay makes me want to climb it.

Hehe… And if there are no copyright issues, I think they should make a haybale Hubble next time! :)

It’s funny, but I was wondering about that… Assuming straw is reasonably opaque to radio waves. :)

Re: Great Find
    Haha! Oh, I sincerely hope it doesn’t deteriorate by that much! :P

14. helen99 says:

This proves once and for all that one can make just about anything out of haybales.

I hope they got permission or there are no copyright issues ;P Sarah

16. dr_nebula says:

The weird thing is – if the shape of the dish is correct, it might even reflect enough to work.
    *g*

Great Find
    and a sad preview of British Radio Astronomy in the coming decades:)