Scientific Ink!

Science is sexy. So are tattoos. So imagine my glee when I discovered the Science Tattoo Emporium, hosted by Discover’s The Loom.

Oh yes, some people love their science so much they decide to indellibly etch it onto their skin. So here are a few of my favourites — though there are lots more!

Schrödinger’s Wave Equation

An unfolded fullerene

DNA Anklet

“Origin of an Epidemic”

Serotonin

It’s probably a good thing I have no money, or I might be tempted.
Perhaps I might treat myself when I finish my thesis…

This entry was posted in Imported from Livejournal and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Scientific Ink!

1. ryttu3k says:

Heh, don’t worry, I was thinking black and white XD

2. helen99 says:

I was visualizing them drawn in two dimensions, kind of like this diagram. For H3 you’d use three H stacked on top of each other. However, if it could be done realistically in three dimensions (perhaps a virtual atomic landscape), that would be even more interesting.

Oh, like that idea. And you’d have to keep to the valencies to make them fit properly!
    How would you get past needing to make them 3D though…?

Now that’s a cool idea. Though if you want my opinion, I’d go for a black and white stylised image, rather than a full colour one. Black and white just looked better for tattoos.
    (Of course, if you don’t want my opinion, feel free to ignore it. :P )

5. ryttu3k says:

…I would TOTALLY play that :D

6. helen99 says:

This icon just inspired a silly thought — a game with roughly the same rules as Scrabble, in which players form molecules by correctly assembling element tiles instead of forming words from letters. Points scored would be equal to the element number…

7. helen99 says:

I do enjoy admiring other people’s tattoos, though. Yep, the t-shirt was from ThinkGeek (I fell victim to their amusing and enjoyable spam)…

8. ryttu3k says:

Saturn, maybe? I loooove Saturn. If I end up working on Titan or Enceladus, it’ll be particularly appropriate!

Yeah, I suspected as much when I noticed that tattoo… ;)
    One day — but with what?

10. ryttu3k says:

Dude, you only just found that? Where do you think I got inspiration for this icon from? XD One day, I WILL be featured on that site ^_^

Hey, that’s fair enough. After all, it’s your skin. On a similar note, I may toy with the idea of tattoos, but I wouldn’t get a piercing. Even if some of them are very cool.
    BTW… Caffeine molecule t-shirt — ThinkGeek.com? :)

12. helen99 says:

Well that’s one way to get some serotonin into one’s system!
    I think I’ll stick with my caffeine molecule tee shirt, though. Tattoos are way too permanent for me.

Oh nice. Very nice. :)
    Where were you planning it to go…?

Isn’t it cool? I only discovered it this morning over my coffee…

You mean the metric? That’s a pretty cool equation. And as a lower back tatt, that would look awesome!
    There’s got to be some funky equation related to your thesis, surely… :)

16. I’m planning on getting a solar emission spectrum done within the next two months. :)

17. I also love the science tattoo site :)

18. I was going to get the Friedmann equation tattooed where one might find a “tramp stamp” but decided against it unless I got my thesis doing cosmology. I’ve been thinking of new possibilities…